Sunday, August 9, 2009

Camping




































We camped at Pilot Mountain in NC. It was fun- despite the fact that I canNOT sleep and have frequent panic attacks in a tent. Not sure what my problem is- probably just all the stress in my life. We stayed 2 nights and somehow I got stuck in the tent with all the kids!!!!!!!!

Jonathan and I shared a mattress and then Jake and Jayden shared. Jake H. had his own air mattress- and Maddie slept with Aunt Katie and Aunt Paula in their tent-(so I guess I didn't really have ALL the kids after all).

Jonathan and I stayed up the latest and laughed and laughed together doing toe points. He pointed out how un-flexible he is- and it's true!!! I had never realized this before cuz he's so athletic, but sure enough, the kid doesn't bend!!! He says he's NEVER passed the "sit and reach" in PE in his whole life, which just made me laugh!

So I nicknamed him "FLEX" during the trip (and Jacob was "CRACK" cuz no matter the size of his bathing suit, he ALWAYS has a little crack showing on his backside!!!) Jake H was "CLUTZ" cuz he spilled countless drinks, and Maddie was later named "DORK" cuz she wanted a name- and managed to get herself stuck upside down in the car when moving from the back seat to the front.

We played lots of Triominoes and my sister Kate made some GREAT meals on the fire. We had smores (lots of smores) and just pigged out. Paula smuggled some beer into the campsite and I laughed hysterically when Katie got so freaked out about getting busted with (gasp) alcohol by the "camper police in the golf cart!!" She made me drink a perfectly good cold Corona out of a red plastic Costco cup... and I am still bitter (ha). But you'll see from the tubing pic of her that I got my revenge...

Paula also found a McDs not far off, so brought Kate and I coffee in the am- so sweet! (I never said I was a true camper...) The camp site was super rocky- and was our 2nd choice- but the first place (Hanging Rock State Park) was full when we arrived. I was surprised noone twisted an ankle on any of the rocks while we were there. The picnic table was literally on some rocks.

We drove to Hanging Rock State Park (20 min.) to hike the trail to the waterfalls again this year. We had a picnic and the kids climbed around on the rocks and splashed in the water (the falls were FREEZING!). We also went to the lake and let the kids swim. Aunt Paula regained her "favorite aunt" status by getting in the scuzzy lake with Jacob- who was afraid to go to the diving platform alone (even though he did it just fine last year). Once she took him out there, he was fine on his own. And would you believe that Kate and I got flipped off by her when we were simply trying to get a nice picture of her while she was swimming in?!!!! How rude!

The kids loved running from the top of the sand hill and splashing into the lake (like David Hassellhoff on BayWatch). Jayden and Maddie liked the sand.

The second day, we went tubing (my first time ever I think) on the Dan river. What a blast! Jacob was soooo scared (he has a lot of fears), but was a good sport and gave it a try- and ended up loving it the most of all! Jayden sat on my lap attached to me the entire time- so it wasn't all that relaxing for me, but still fun. Her tube became the shoe tube- and a nice foot rest. When it was time to get out of the tube and leave the river, I had one of my extra "graceful" episodes and started floating away while clinging desperately to a slippery rock. Jonathan tried to come to my rescue and sprained his ankle and stubbed his toe, and the rest of the people just sat and laughed, I guess. Actually Paula helped me. Thanks Paula! Oh, and the reason I am wearing a shirt is because I forgot my bathing suit (but managed to bring 4 or 5 for Jayden of course!)

I was glad we didn't come across any snakes or eels. The water could have been a few inches deeper, too- cuz when it would get super shallow, my butt would hit the rocks and I'd get stuck... and then Jayden would panic. Come to tink of it- maybe I just need a smaller butt- nah- it was definitely the river's fault...