
My mom, Jayden, and I spent the day at Children's Hospital in Seattle yesterday. I hadn't ever been before (thankfully). One of my all time favorite students Davis Carlson spent almost a year in and out of there before dying of cancer in 2005. It was heart breaking. I had wanted to go visit him, but had a newborn (Jayden) at the time so couldn't go. I was sooo impressed with their organization and efficiency. We did the hour and a half CF test, and Jayden was a champ! The only part she didn't appreciate was when we had to rip the tape off of the patches. The test measures the sodium chloride content of your sweat. If it's too high (40 or above), it is an indicator of Cystic Fibrosis. We left w/o results and had to wait until 4pm to hear anything. I'm not kidding about how scared I was. As it got closer and closer to 3:30 (when results were done at the hospital), every minute waiting for my doctor's office to call was excruciating. I thought I was going to vomit. And then, the call... I cried when she said her sodium chloride level was 15 (well below 40) and she does NOT have CF. It was such an incredible relief. Thank you Lord! I grabbed ahold of Jayden and squeezed and kissed her harder than ever before. I'll never forget that moment. She didn't understand and asked, "Why are you sad, mama?"- little did she know... Anyway, if you've been praying for her, it worked! Thank you!