Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Middle School Spelling Bee



Jonathan made it to the spelling bee again this year. He's been every year since 4th grade (I think he was only an alternate in 3rd grade). He just spells well naturally. It's easy for him. Last year when he made it (one representative per class), he dreaded going because he was afraid all the kids would be there- and it wouldn't be cool. He asked me to please not come (I'm so embarrassing you know...). But then he was pleasantly surprised that it was just the spellers and the parents there- not everyone. The word he (and according to him most of the other contestants) missed last year was "conscientious". It was his first word and he said the entire event lasted about 5 minutes- since nearly everyone missed that first word...

This year he placed 5th out of about 20 kids (6th, 7th, and 8th graders).. He said he was the top 7th grade finisher. The word he missed was bungalow (forgot the w at the end). He told me one of his words was "admiral"- which is coincidental, as this is the same word he missed in the 5th grade spelling bee a couple years back.

I am really proud of him- and was SOOOOOO sad I couldn't attend. I just couldn't afford to miss yet another day of school this year. I thought of him all morning. If he earns the opportunity to be in it again next year, I'm going- no matter what!