
I am scared- to death. On Tuesday I have to take Jayden to Children's Hospital in Seattle to be tested for Cystic Fibrosis. Wouldn't I know if she were sickly? Wouldn't there be signs? There's a big part of me that thinks she's fine and that this is just a test- to rule it out. I will have myself convinced of this- but then I look at her sweet little face and worry "What if..."
When I googled it, I felt worse. And- I used to teach with a girl who lost 3 siblings to CF. I know modern medicines are good, but...
Here's the background... At the end of December I rushed her to the clinic one evening because (well- you don't really want to know...) Anyway, she was diagnosed with rectal prolapse. I assumed it was from chronic constipation (sorry for the details), but I guess it can also be a sign of CF. I remember the Physician's Assistant at the clinic kind of mentioning (w/o urgency) that Jayden would need a test- and I thought she had said for Cerebal Paulsy. I wasn't worried at all, as she said she thinks Jayden is fine, and I have never noticed any gross or fine motor issues.
After I took her to her 4 year check-up on January 12th, the doctor called me the next day to tell me that she needed to get tested for Cystic Fibrosis- and my heart sank when I heard the name of the disease. The only reason I even knew about it was because of my friend Kathleen (mentioned above). He sounded very serious- but then he's not Mr. Personality either (nice enough, but...) so I am trying not to read too much into his tone.
So if you're reading this post, please say a little- OK maybe a BIG- prayer for Jayden. I want her to be healthy soooo badly. This year is supposed to get better for us, so I am trying to stay positive and to convince myself she's fine- even as I type. I will know the results on Tuesday evening. It could be the best day ever- or the worst. It will be the best- right??? Will keep you posted.