Monday, January 26, 2009

Rocket Derby











So last night I was up past midnight constructing this blasted rocket. There were a few choice words uttered... a few unpleasant thoughts crossed my mind... like the urge to smash the thing to pieces... BUT... I persevered- and in the end, I had one extra piece left over and rubber bands hanging out the back of the thing- which just didn't seem right. I decided I'd figure it all out today... a new, fresh day... but then just didn't have time. Oh well.

Jake did the sanding and painting, but the hard part was on me. Too bad I am challenged when it comes to constructing things. I even hate Legos. And I'd rather be tared and feathered than build with Bionicles...

The derby did not go as they had planned. It took soooo long between each race. The boys were a bit out of control, but after a while I just didn't care anymore. They were having fun playing with each other's hats and hanging all over each other (Jake is a hands-on guy). I got some cute pix of the goofballs...

Oh yes- the race. When we arrived, I looked at other rockets to see where I went wrong and did a few quick alterations to my (I mean Jake's) masterpiece. I had time to prepare Jake for the worst- to tell him that last place really isn't as bad as it's been cracked up to be... (At this point I was just praying the thing wouldn't fall apart until after it raced at least one time). Jake just laughed along with me. He's such a sport!

Sure enough, our rocket didn't disappoint- taking last place by a landslide! It sailed only a few feet as compared to the others' 25 feet or so. And not only did we lose our Wolf Den division, but we managed to lose the ENTIRE event. Not a single rocket in the entire Pack did worse than ours. Oh! What a feeling...

Oh well... neither one of us even cared. Jake got a green participation ribbon and was perfectly happy. I sure love his easy-going nature. And I'm just glad I won't have to build another one of those babies for another year!